Saturday, January 14, 2012

Planning



So, this 'living with intent' thing, being purposeful, isn't just going to 'happen' without some thinking, some visualising and some planning. Yes, I've known this for quite some time, and yes, I am really just working this out now. I've been here, at very similar conclusions and with muchc the same intentions, at the beginning of the year for quite a few years. I plan, I make lists, I create folders that I think will somehow change my life, make it run smoother. What I fail to do is plan properly how to implement all these changes, and I love the saying 'failing to plan is planning to fail'. I also want everything to happen now, for the house to be fabulous by the end of the week and for all our routines to be, well, routine immediately.

It doesn't work like that. Yes, obvious, I know.

So, this time is different. This time I'm thinking, researching (i.e. reading blogs of those who seem to have a pretty good, sensible handle on all this stuff!), finding what will work for us, and letting it all sit and marinate. I've already started implementing some changes, being intentional in things I do, and ignoring (as much as I can) the little voices that say 'leave the dishes, go and watch tv/read/browse aimlessly online'.

The first thing I found that has *really* triggered the cogs turning in my brain and my heart is SimpleMom's blog, and an e-book she has written 'One Bite At A Time', subtitled '52 projects for making life simpler'. Now, I'm normally quite wary of any 'x steps to .......' books etc, but this one caught my attention, and for good reason. The author, Tsh Oxenreider, says on the site

'One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler is a simple living handbook. I took my favorite ideas that I already wrote on Simple Mom, then rewrote and reorganized them into manageable chunks. Broken down into manageable chunks, One Bite at a Time provides you with steps, tips, links, and motivation to slow down and simplify.

Here’s the thing: I bet most of you know what to do to simplify. You’ve heard most of the little tips and tricks to slow down life and make tasks less frustrating. It’s just overwhelming to know how to start.

With this book, I’m giving you permission to focus on just one thing at a time, until you’ve got that task down—and then you can move on to the next one.

52 tasks. Practical. Do-able. Given to you in a one-at-a-time, take-a-breath format, for you to tackle at your own comfortable pace. You know what you should do, you just need a handbook. That is the gift this book is giving you.'

I love that - 'I bet most of you know what to do to simplify........It’s just overwhelming to know how to start'. Bingo!!!! That was *exactly* how I was feeling, and couldn't articulate! I would really encourage you to have a look at the sample of the book, and at $5.00 it's a small invesment to make for something that could be very helpful (disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection with Simple Mom, just love her work!!).

I've also found a few posts from the Simple Living sites and some others that have really resonated with me, and I've been mulling over these past couple of weeks as I feel the tendrils of change winding their way through my head and heart.

Simple Mom

The ONE difference between lon-lasting resolutions and spectacular failures

Goals make us available, not perfect

Two ways to make New Year's resolutions actually STICK

Questions to help you make some goals

Resolve NOT to

Simple Organic

My 2012 Green Goals

Happy Simple Living

So now I need to go and be intentional. I need to pluck the thoughts and concepts currently floating around in the soup of possibility in my brain, and start writing, to work out how I'm going to make this all work for us, in a way that will 'stick', and fit in with us and our life.

It's a good thing I like making lists :-)






1 comment: